March Leadership Group Minutes Posted by Posted by Loren Savage on 1 May 2018 Posted on: 1 May 2018


Posted by Loren Savage

Posted on: 1 May 2018

 Enabling Good Lives (EGL) – MidCentral Regional Leadership Group

Confirmed record of the meeting held on the 7 March 2018

Palmerston North

 

1. Present:

  • Representing persons with disabilities: Martin Sullivan, Antz Burgess, Rose Boddy, Rachael Burt (disabled persons representative), Pete Allen and Rachael Kenny (People First)

  • Representing families: Selwyn Bennett, Zandra Vaccarino and Rebecca Wood

  •  Representing providers: Maxine Dale (stand-in for Janice Gordon), Marshall Te Tau and Fiona Parrent (replacement for Carole Searle)

  • Representing Mana Whenua:, Robyn Richardson (Mana Whenua) and Wairemana Campbell

  • Representing Pasifika: Pati Umaga and three Pasefika family representatives    

In attendance

  • Sacha O’Dea, Pete Wilson and Virginia Wilton from the Transformation Team at the Ministry of Health

  • Gabrielle Scott (DHB), Janice Gray (ACC) and Jen Wilson (Oranga Tamariki)   

  • Mark Benjamin (Facilitator for the group) and Tina Lincoln (Co-facilitator)

 Apologies: Lovey Hodgekinson, , Scott Ambridge (Enable), Pip Brunn, Sarah Harrison (MoE) and Katie Brosnahan (MSD)  

 

2. Welcome, karakia and introductions

3. Reflections on the Leadership Group

What is working well
 
What can be further developed/refined
The small group work is great for relationship building
 
Sometimes there are short timeframes for important discussions – there is a need to slow down at times
Humour
 
It may be good to ‘regroup’ into the representative groups from time to time
Very productive for a large group
 
Not all small groups ‘stay on track’
Diverse – a variety of representatives
 
Importance of continuing to use easy to understand language
Constructive – working for the common good
 
Sometimes the change process seems slow
A place of insight
 
Continue to ensure group approaches are culturally appropriate
Contributions welcomed
 
The size of the group can be challenging at times
Good to get to know each other
 
 Great to be doing this face-to-face
People listen to other perspectives
 
 Everyone has equal time and can be heard
Good to be getting to know the Pasefika representatives
 
 Good to experience the significance of our involvement
Hit the ground running
 
 

 

It was expressed that, for the size of the group, it was inclusive, welcoming and productive.

4. Decisions made at the March Core Groups

  • Rachel Kenny and Peter Allen to be the disabled people to be involved with the Ministry of Education working group – scheduled to start on the 26th March in Wellington

  • Fiona Parrent to be the replacement for Carole Searle.

  • The two provider “stand-in” are Maxine and Liz

  • Families have identified three potential “stand-ins”.  A selection will be made depending on the content likely to be discussed and who might be best suitedFeedback from the disabled peoples Core Group

On the 8th February some members of the MidCentral Leadership Group met with the EGL National Leadership Group.  At this meeting the National Leadership Group requested the MidCentral Leadership Group to select a representative to join the National Leadership Group.  This was considered by the disabled peoples Core Group on the 6th March. The Core Group decided to present the following to the MidCentral Leadership Group (MC Leadership Group):

  • The representative to join the National Leadership Group is a disabled person

  • Toni (Antnz) Burgess was suggested

The MidCentral Leadership Group unanimously agreed with both suggestions.

Antnz will brief Rachael Burt and Rose Boddy after National Leadership Group meetings.

6. Comment and request from the family Core Group

Families presented to the MC Leadership Group regarding their belief that families should be represented, alongside disabled people, at the group that will be formed to further explore Ministry of Education involvement with system transformation.

This was unanimously agreed by the MC Leadership Group.

The following statement was sent to the Ministry of Education on the 8th March

“ The MidCentral Leadership Group is pleased the Ministry of Education is working to ensure representatives from disabled people's groups, involved in system transformation, will have opportunity to directly engage with the Ministry of Education regarding your involvement with system transformation.  The MidCentral Leadership Group unanimously agreed it is also critical to have direct representation of families at these meetings as well. 

Families have a significant role when it comes to their family members experience of education, particularly early childhood, primary and secondary education.  We believe a family perspective is a critical element of this process.

Please advise us if this is possible and how we can make this happen.”

The Ministry of Education agreed to this on the 12th March and families were asked, via email, to suggest a representative for the initial meeting on the 26th March in Wellington.

 

7. “Stand-ins” for MC Leadership Group meetings

See point 4

It was agreed that a “stand-in” will not attend a MC Leadership Group meeting if confidential content is anticipated.  This is only likely to apply for a couple of meetings each year

 

8. Evaluation and Monitoring Panel

Sacha O’Dea gave an overview of progress towards ensuring baseline information is gathered prior to the prototype being implemented.  Martin Sullivan, from the MC Leadership Group, has been participating in a workstream developing this approach.

It was suggested that Martin join a panel who will select organisations to undertake this work.

This was unanimously agreed by the MC Leadership Group

9. Capacity and capability funding – disabled people and families

Introduction

Peter Wilson introduced that the Ministry of Health was seeking guidance on a set of criteria that will provide a framework to make decisions regarding what might be funded

  • This applies to events for groups of disabled people and families

  • There will be a decision-making group who decides what will receive funding

  • The agreed criteria will be the basis for decisions

Thoughts from the MC Leadership Group

  • Any proposal must be aligned with the EGL principles and vision (multiple comments supporting this)

  • Proof the event will be of benefit

  • People accessing the event resided in the area

  • Minimum group size

  • Some verification the presenters/facilitators will offer accurate information – they are knowledgeable and credible

  • Is the content consistent with legislation

  • Importance of things likely to result in a long-term gain given priority

  • Culturally diverse – wide definitions

  • Emphasise on collective advancement

  • Can capture innovations in diverse communities

  • What is the desired outcome – is it relevant and achievable

  • Is there already an existing option?

  • Is it empowering

  • What is the wider long-term community benefit

  • Relevant to a variety of ages – different people need different things

  • Is the proposal innovative / creative (not wanting the same old things)?

Comments

  • Need to ensure equity of allocation

  • There is value in someone being able to work with potential groups and assisting them to develop clarity (and the application)

  • Important to capture the themes of requests that are successful and unsuccessful

  • Importance of being able to submit in multiple formats

  • How to foster collaboration – not competition

  • It may take some time to set this up well

When should this start?

  • Someone able to assist applications from 1st October 2018

  • Don’t allocate too early – or, only those in the know will get funding

  • Not first come = first served

  • Start with generalised information/events until a responsive approach can be properly developed

  • Start with generic NOW


10. Discussion with Sacha O’Dea

  • The new co-developed cabinet paper, that has involved consultation with approximately 18 government agencies and two Ministers, has been finalised.  It will go to the Social Wellbeing Committee on the 21st March and Cabinet on the 26th March.  A public announcement is likely during the first two weeks in April

  • Three disabled people presented the draft cabinet paper to a group of Ministers.  Following this presentation there were in-depth discussions around operational issues.  The ‘try-learn-adjust’ approach has been generally welcomed as a good approach for change of this complexity. The importance of disabled people for themselves has been emphasised.

  • The majority of the feedback, received from the MC Leadership Group, has influenced the final version

  • The comment related to a 1:45 ratio, for the Tuhono/Connector role, has been removed

  • The final version of the cabinet paper is likely to go to members of the MC Leadership Group at the same time as it goes to other Ministers (note: Ministers Sepuloni and Genter already have the final version)

  • A cost benefit analysis will be included as part of the prototype evaluation

  • A “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) sheet will be released with the cabinet paper

  • We are entering a new phase.  This will include determining:

  • Who makes decisions on what

  • What decisions will be made by the MC Leadership Group and what will be delegated to sub-groups (or other groups)

  • It is likely that the MC Leadership Group will make ‘ high level’ decisions – and then sub-groups will deal with detailed decisions

  • Different people may want to ‘specialise’ in an area of particular interest/expertise

  • Officials will bring proposals to the MC Leadership Group – operational decisions will then be made by the system transformation team

  • A more comprehensive and detailed engagement with the sector will begin in April

  • A member of the MC Leadership Group may be included on a Question and Answer panel

  • General Managers, from several different agencies, want to attend a MC Leadership Group meeting.  This may include: Toni Atkinson (Health), James Poskit (Social Development) and Pamela Cohen (Education)

  • Matching people with Tuhono/Connectors – it was emphasised that disabled people and families will choose a Tuhono / Connector (i.e. not ‘matched’)

  • There is likely to be 18 Tuhono/Connectors.  A diverse group. 

  • There is likely to be three ways Tuhono / Connectors may be employed / contracted e.g. employed by the transformation team, part of a non-government organisation who do not provide direct support services and via a “validation” process

  • There will be funding for paid advocacy

  • People will be able to seek a funding review if circumstances change

  • A summary of the cabinet paper will be available in: NZ sign, easy read, Te Reo Maori and English 

     

11. Concluding word

prepare
optimistic
informed
wonderful
excited x2
progress
great
anticipation
momentum
filling gaps
honoured
excited
unclear
opportunity
on the cusp x2
movement
 
 

 
13.The meeting closed with karakia at 4.00pm

 

Associated Actions:

  1. Leadership Group members to reply, via email, regarding their confirmation of the draft statement the Ministry of Education
  2. Leadership members who identify as Māori to explore setting up a Māori rōpū (Core Group).  Robyn and Wairemana to initiate discussion
  3. Antnz to liaise with Virginia regarding attendance at the next National Leadership Group meeting
  4. Mark to liaise with key EGL Waikato people to present at the April Core Groups and MC Leadership Group meeting

 

 

Next meetings
Next Leadership Group meeting on the 4th April
Core groups: disabled people 3th April, Families 3th April and Providers 4th April

 

 

Share and Like the page on facebook

Post your comment

Comments

By Dr. Saad Al-Harran (7 months ago)
Hello Everybody Most of the people today are busy and have no time to read detail report. Those in disability sector is struggling hard due to lack of employment opportunities and poor rented accommodation among other things. I came to know that Enabling Good Lives in Canterbury started in June 2012 and those they are responsible for this program should make case study presentation to enlighten the public some are in favour while others are against it. At the end of the road, each individual will decide what is good for him and what is not. Here in MidCentral, we need to learn from others Region and the learning should be through powerpoint presentation so that people will learn from other people experience. Surely there are some who are in favour of the program (ENABLING GOOD LIVES) while others are not. From me as an experienced professional with more than 40 years of practical and academic experience, I am not happy because of the identification problem of selecting the members to be nominated for those in the management group committee. I just wonder who have selected them, have they been selected base on certain rules and regulations or the selection has been done on other people recommendation. Here again, I sincerely hope Hon Minister of Health Dr David Clark should take note of that also the Minister of Disability Issues. Thank you. Dr Saad Al-Harran, Specialist in Micro-Finance Enterprise in New Zealand

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments